Leather passport holder with lion and tree of life pattern
Delivery to Hungary: Free for all orders above 10 000 HUF.
Sewn leather passport case with an extra inside pocket for tickets and other documents. The combination of green and golden in the interior perfectly compliments the cover design. The lion is a royal symbol, it represents power and strenght. Is there a friend who comes to mind as the ideal recipient of this gift?
On occasion of the reopening of the Museum of Fine Arts (Budapest) we have created the most elegant collection in the history of the MúzeumShop. The golden base of the pattern we used is dotted with peacocks, winged lions and the tree of life. By borrowing these motifs from the walls of the Romanesque Hall we intended to recall the solemn, compelling atmosphere of this museum space. The decorative wall painting of the hall has a symbolic meaning: in medieval Christian art the trees of life and the peacocks, griffons and lions surrounding them were all symbolizing the Garden of Eden and the resurrection of Christ.
The Romanesque Hall, the most ornate part of the interior of the Museum of Fine Arts (built between 1900 and 1906) has been closed off to visitors for over seventy years. Originally each of the three grand halls on the ground floor were meant to present main architectural styles and the history of their respective sculpting by exhibiting plaster copies of world-famous statues in them. The layout of this hall - intended to display the plaster cast copies of Medieval art pieces - was based on the structure of Romanesque churches. The walls were fully covered with fresco images of Christian symbols, Hungarian historical figures, plant ornaments and coat of arms. Thanks to the time capsule unearthed at the start of the reconstruction process we got to learn the names of the creators: the hall's plans were made by János Glaser, Károly Miksa Reissmann was responsible for figurative details and the painting of the ornamental decoration - finished in less than a year - was coordinated by Ottó Beszédes. During World War II, the roof windows got broken and the murals and the plaster casts were severely damaged. Due to lack of resources the damages were not corrected and the hall had to be closed off only to be used as a storage for art pieces for seven decades. Restoring it to its original state lasted eight months (December 2016 - June 2017) and required the work of seventy restorers.
© Museum of Fine Arts: Romanesque Hall
|Size||146 mm x 100 mm|